Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Mauro Iazzi mauro.iazzi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 09:18:43 CEST 2007

before someone beats me to it.

http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/announcements/press.2007-09-17.9260755578

and

In short: Qtopia is going to be fully GPL'd (telephony applications
included, which weren't) and is being ported to Neo1973.

Some comments (personal, I can be wrong...):
1) I hope this stops the Qtopia dismissal because not-GPL'd arguments.
No one can doubt of Trolltech commitment to Open Source world, whether
you like them being commercial or not.
2) collaboration can be complete now, if not sharing the source (at
least not fully, because of the different stacks), at least in
borrowing design patterns.
3) this could be seen also as a temporary solution for those which
want to use the Neo _right_now_ (despite it still being
developers-only)
4) it stresses the no-software-lock-in that Neo wants to have, in
contrast to all other phones. This is freedom.

Seems to me a great step in making the Neo a big platform. I can't
wait to see it.

cheers,

mauro