Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Mauro Iazzi mauro.iazzi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:28:57 CEST 2007

On 18/09/2007, Alexey Feldgendler <alexey at feldgendler.ru> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:45:51 +0200, Mauro Iazzi <mauro.iazzi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >> I hate to say it but in my experience at least, its a dream developing
> >> apps using QT esp given the nice IDE in comparison to using GTK.  QT
> >> just has the docs and organised feel which makes it easy.
>
> > with the drawback that _everything_ will need to be Qt based
>
> Why is that?

Qtopia does not make use of X. It uses direct rendering and draws with
its very own primitives. It is one the primary reason for the
different naming, I think...

I also think you can hook to draw directly in the framebuffer, but
there would be no policy for interacting with other apps, which you
would have using X. Everyone could draw over you and viceversa.

They chose to make it so, so there is no expectation this will change.
It's a little more locked than what OpenMoko would be. In the
meantime, it works well being limited, so it's a legitimate choice.

@Giles
 Qt if fully GPL.
 Qtopia (the full stack: Phone Edition) used to be only partly GPL'd
(a large part indeed called OpenSource Edition), but by October will
completely be GPL.

There are really no license issues with this software. This should be
made clear. The problem people have is for it to be commercial (i.e.
sold). It's a different issue.