Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Derek Pressnall dpressnall at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:36:47 CEST 2007

On 9/18/07, Giles Jones <giles.jones at zen.co.uk> wrote:
> Michael Schmidt <schmidtm524 at googlemail.com> wrote :

> Quite simply if you have an X server running and you launch an app using QT it will read the libraries and launch. Same with a GTK app.
>
> Of course there may not be room in the ROM for both, but it's possible to install the libraries on a memory card and use a symbolic link or entry in the library path so they can be found.

There is one other issue, assuming QT Phone is done the sameway QTE is
on the Sharp Zaurus.  The QT Embedded environment doesn't use X, but
instead draws directly onto the framebuffer, so you can't easily run
QTE and X apps side by side.  Now I'm not sure how compatible QTE is
to the regular QT X toolkit, if it is a 100% drop in replacement then
you should be able to use the QT Embedded userland (apps, etc.) and
link them against QT X.

> Typically the argument for QT is ease of programming, there's a good IDE called KDevelop. GTK's argument typically is that it's GPL and faster.

A couple other differences, QT is C++ based, whereas GTK is C based,
so depending on what your preferences are... Also, isn't GTK licenesed
as LGPL, whereas QT is GPL?  So commercial developers will need to pay
for a seperate license for QT if they make non-GPL apps, whereas GTK's
license is more commercial app friendly.