Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Sep 18 18:48:37 CEST 2007

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:45:51 +0200, Mauro Iazzi <mauro.iazzi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> I hate to say it but in my experience at least, its a dream developing
>>> apps using QT esp given the nice IDE in comparison to using GTK.  QT
>>> just has the docs and organised feel which makes it easy.
>
>> with the drawback that _everything_ will need to be Qt based
>
> Why is that?

Qtopia is a complete application stack which is not based on the
traditional technologies used in unix. Especially problematic is that
they have a gui-server which works directly on the framebuffer.
Not X11 like all other systems. This has better performance and is in my
eyes the perfect solution for embedded devices. But that is the reason
why you can not just compile any X11 application for the phone and run it.
But this issue is more or less a non-issue, because there is a x-server
for qtopia avaiblable.
But if you want to have native applications which fit right in the
framework you have to use Qt and C++.

And the other problem is that QT has different views about things like
PIM storage (addressbook, calendar ...), phone systems (gsmd vs. the
qtopia phone-driver system) and so on.

Both systems just don't fit very well together.
And i like both concepts...

But thats how it is. Opensource is just about freedom to choose. The
more choices the better...

Regards
  Tilman Baumann