Qtopia coming for Neo1973

thomas.cooksey at bt.com thomas.cooksey at bt.com
Tue Sep 18 20:13:53 CEST 2007

Has anyone seen these benchmarks: http://zrusin.blogspot.com/2006/10/benchmarks.html

It compares Cairo (what GTK+ uses) against QT. When it comes to rendering, I
believe Qtopia & QT use the same code. So ignoring X,

"Qt was respectively 7, 5 and 6 times faster. Than Cairo in those plain tests."

Now factor in the fact that QWS has a lot less overhead than X and a smaller
memory footprint.

Can someone _please_ give me a technical reason why they believe GTK+ is
"better"? The only arguments I've seen on this list are philosophical ones. The
only technical argument has been that you can run applications on the phone and
have them appear on your desktop thanks to X. Surely there is a better reason?

I hate to say it, but I'm beginning to feel that the OpenMoko developer's ego
is a big driving force behind developing the OpenMoko stack.