Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Tue Sep 18 22:58:00 CEST 2007

Tilman Baumann wrote:
> Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

>>> with the drawback that _everything_ will need to be Qt based
>>
>> Why is that?
>
> Qtopia is a complete application stack which is not based on the
> traditional technologies used in unix. Especially problematic is that
> they have a gui-server which works directly on the framebuffer.

sort of like X11 on these devices.. You could also say that X11 doesn't
play fair with direct fb access either.

> Not X11 like all other systems. This has better performance and is in my
> eyes the perfect solution for embedded devices.

There is no great performance difference between x11 and fb.

> But that is the reason
> why you can not just compile any X11 application for the phone and run it.
> But this issue is more or less a non-issue, because there is a x-server
> for qtopia avaiblable.
> But if you want to have native applications which fit right in the
> framework you have to use Qt and C++.
>
> And the other problem is that QT has different views about things like
> PIM storage (addressbook, calendar ...), phone systems (gsmd vs. the
> qtopia phone-driver system) and so on.
>
> Both systems just don't fit very well together.
> And i like both concepts...

Then dual boot. :) The Neo has an SD card and open uboot bootloader just
waiting for a dual boot.

> But thats how it is. Opensource is just about freedom to choose. The
> more choices the better...

Agreed.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech