Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Wed Sep 19 22:53:21 CEST 2007

X provides an OpenGL API.   So if you want to do fancy stuff like
Compiz, you do it with OpenGL.

The main advantage to X over a direct-to-framebuffer system is that
you can connect over the network.   X also has a well-though-out
virtualization of the framebuffer, which is a wheel you'd have to
reinvent for your fb system (although I guess OpenGL would do).

Personally I'm pretty agnostic about it - back in the day, X was a
huge boon, but nowadays the ability to have a network-extensible
windowing system isn't that important.   So the infrastructure X
provides is valuable, but its raison-d'être is mostly a historical
curiosity, as well as a security hole.