GPS accuracy

Krzysztof Kajkowski cayco at poczta.cayco.pl
Sat Sep 22 12:49:33 CEST 2007

2007/9/22, Richard Bennett <richard.bennett at skynet.be>:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:43:45 +0200, Krzysztof Kajkowski
> <cayco at poczta.cayco.pl> wrote:
>
> > Hi! Check out picture in this article: http://www.openmoko.org.pl/node/41
> > I had my Neo on the buttom of my back pack while riding a bike.
> > Accuracy was up to about 2m. It was realy good.
>
> Hi,
> Do you mean your phone was inside your backpack and it could reliably save
> a position every 3 seconds? Or was it stuck to the outside of your
> backpack?

It ws on the buttom of my back back - I had laptop there, some clothes
and Neo was in the middle of it. I was realy surprised too when I
found out about accuracy of the device.

> And you were not using the 'assistive' part of a-gps, i.e. not
> communicating with a server to provide positioning info?

No, I think at that time there was no GPRS available on Neo (or I
didn't know how to turn it on).

> I'm surprised as I heard reports from other devices of people having to go
> up on a hill and wait for 10 minutes before they got a position fix...

Well, It catches fix after about 1 min if there's clear sky above.

As you can see on the picture accuracy was good - Neo recorded my
exact route - I rode a bike on parking lot, once I drove in a circle,
once I didn't use road and drove on the sidewalk - everything is there
:) I think accuracy is comparable to my Garmin device.

> BTW, I think you have a small error in the title "Qtopia on Neo1973
> unrevealed!". If you meant to say they have hidden something that was
> previously revealed it is correct, otherwise you'd want to use 'Qtopia on
> Neo1973 revealed' or 'Qtopia on Neo1973 unveiled'

Thx, I gonna correct that!

cayco