Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Tue Sep 25 10:23:37 CEST 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 11:58 PM, Carlo E. Prelz wrote:
> QT is bound to C++. With GTK you can choose to program in C, or, if
> you really want to, in C++. With QT there is no way you can write your
> code in C.

This is an utterly pathetic excuse not to try something.   You don't
have to become a C++ expert to try Qt.   Just take some existing Qt
sample code, read it over, spend a half day reading a C++ book to
figure out the stuff that doesn't make sense to you, and then code
something up and see how it works.   If it really sucks, you'll
know.   Without doing this, you simply aren't qualified to say
anything about Qt.   So it's kind of mind-boggling that you were able
to come up with so much prose to document your complete lack of
knowledge on the topic.

> Also, Qtopia, by having no X server running in the background, makes
> it much more difficult for the average developer to bring his/her own
> window to the screen of the phone.

Case in point.   This simply isn't true.   You're saying things that
you don't know to be true.   Why would you do that?

> I see OpenMoko as a developer-oriented phone/system.

I haven't even been able to get a build working.   It only builds on
one platform - the build is so brittle that if you don't have that
platform, you can't get it to go.   It's early days, so I don't count
that against the development team, but this is another stunningly
ignorant statement.   Have you actually tried to develop an app for
Openmoko yet?

I've spent far more time trying to figure out the OpenMoko build
system than I ever spent learning C++ so that I could write Qt code -
I had my own Qt app, mostly written in C running under Qt in a matter
of about a day and a half.

GTK may be better than Qt for some reason, but it's not because Qt is
hard to use.

> (I also do like much more the graphical look of the OM proposed
> interface, but this is purely a matter of tastes)

Taste matters.   The OpenMoko UI in some places really does look
better than the Qtopia UI.   There's no need to be bashful about
preferring one design to the other because of the way it looks.