Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Tue Sep 25 11:32:50 CEST 2007

> Just for the record, those are tablets, that weight more (i.e: they
> have more battery life thus power) that can take such overhead. N800

Why do you assume that X is overhead that needs more weight and
battery capacity?
X11 is also using the same framebuffer as others are using. It is
just a different software
architecture.

> doesn't even have phone functions! Do you know about any linuxphone
> with X?

The phone functionality (GSM) of the Neo comes from a separate
module. So, adding
one to the N800 wouldn't change anything in the performance of the
graphics.

BTW just for the record, the first Linux wristwatch from IBM did also
use X11...
here: http://www.research.ibm.com/WearableComputing/linuxwatch/
linuxwatch.html

IMHO it is a common misconception that X11 raises performance
problems. It is
mostly how X11 is used. E.g. if you flush too often, performance goes
down because
it cannot combine and buffer screen updates any more.

BTW: some of my experiments indicate that the framebuffer itself is
the slowest part
in the game.