Qtopia coming for Neo1973

Casey Harkins caseyharkins at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 07:46:01 CEST 2007

AVee wrote:
> C++ compiler needs to be improved. You do realize that C++ was explicitly
> designed with embedded software in mind?

I'm curious where you got the idea that "C++ was explicitly designed
with embedded software in mind"?

Anyways...

I don't know why the Qtopia vs. Openmoko thing has to continually
pollute this list with rants. I don't see either going away, so why
can't they both happily coexist. I've seen the argument that it splits
the developers between two platforms, but that assumes all the
developers would be willing to develop on one platform or the other. I
don't see either Gnome or KDE dying anytime soon. Could Linux on the
desktop have progressed quicker with a single prominent desktop
environment over the past 10 years? Maybe, maybe not. One thing I think
*is* certain is that competing software drives innovation. Sure,
innovative features often are copied by the competition, but that
benefits everyone in the end.

I think there is a place for both Openmoko and Qtopia. Useful features
and possibly even entire applications can be cloned/ported back and
forth between the platforms. Artwork, sounds, etc can easily be shared.

Can we please end this back and forth C vs. C++, Qt vs. Gtk, X11 vs
no-X11, Openmoko vs Qtopia. I think most of us have seen plenty of these
debates over the years and nothing constructive ever comes of them.

-casey