still having trouble getting Neo to boot Qtopia from SD

ian douglas id at w98.us
Thu Sep 27 03:25:39 CEST 2007

So to recap what I've tried, that doesn't work to get Qtopia on my SD
card and boot from SD:

I went to http://www.qtopia.net/modules/devices/openmoko.php and
downloaded the three files under "Qtopia for the Neo1973 Downloads", and
unpacked them onto a 2GB microSD card, formatted as ext3:

# mount /dev/sdc1 /media/sdcard
# tar -C /media/sdcard -zxvf \
   /path/to/qtopia/ficgta01-qtopia-developer-rootfs.tgz
# tar -C /media/sdcard -zxvf \
   /path/to/qtopia/arm920t-eabi-ficgta01-toolchain.tgz
# tar -C /media/sdcard/boot/ -xzvf \
   /path/to/qtopia/qtopia-4.3.0-preview-neo-flash.tgz

... the last step of course placed the uImage file and the rootfs file
into the SD card's /boot/ folder (there's no documentation anywhere that
describes where else to place these, so I was guessing as I went)

# cd /media/sdcard/boot
# ln -s uImage-2.6.21.6-moko11-r2-fic-gta01.bin uImage

This, of course symlinks the uImage file since the uboot menu only needs
a file called "uImage"

Then I ejected the SD card from my Linux box, put the SD card into my
Neo, powered up to the uboot menu, selected 'Boot from SD', and I get
the kernel panic I posted earlier. (relisted below)

So obviously having uImage-2.6.21.6-moko11-r2-fic-gta01.bin and
qtopia-rootfs.2-09180703.jffs2 in the /boot/ folder isn't right, so I
put the SD card back into my Linux box and moved the files up a level so
they would be in the 'root' folder of the file system:

# mount /dev/sdc1 /media/sdcard
# cd /media/sdcard/boot
# mv uImage-2.6.21.6-moko11-r2-fic-gta01.bin ../
# mv qtopia-rootfs.2-09180703.jffs2 ../
# rm uImage
# ln -s ../uImage-2.6.21.6-moko11-r2-fic-gta01.bin uImage
# sync ; cd ; eject /dev/sdc1

That didn't work either... same kernel panic: (last 5 lines included here)

Waiting 5sec before mounting root device...
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
NFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
NFS: Cannot open root device "mmcblk0p1" or unknown-block(0,2)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,2)

So Piotr, could you maybe please post your bash_history for us to see
what exactly you did, to get this going? I'd be happy to edit the wiki
page for Qtopia on the Neo for booting from SD if I can just get this
going -- but experimentation is just frustrating when others obviously
have already tried Qtopia on the Neo.

Thanks,
Ian