Unified PIM

thomas.cooksey at bt.com thomas.cooksey at bt.com
Thu Sep 27 16:27:47 CEST 2007

>So for me it would make perfect sense to use the LiPS APIs and bring
>some flexibility to the applications.

I've just read through the LiPS API. I think it's a step in the right direction, but it looks like it's got a long way to go before it's usable. :-(

I guess my main issues with it are:

1) It (currently) only covers address books
2) The Query interface is pretty limited (No way to "get contacts.phone-number where gender is Female and bra-size >= DD")
3) There's no "last updated" timestamp on the fields. This is an absolute must to make syncs reliable, otherwise how does it know which is correct if the server and the client have different values?

I'm thinking that it could be a great interface to get at the address book on the SIM card and import it into a unified local repository (which then gets synced to a server somewhere on the internet). Perhaps EDS would be a possibility here?

Cheers,

Tom