Unified PIM

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Fri Sep 28 10:13:09 CEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 18:49 +0100, thomas.cooksey at bt.com wrote:
> >I guess my only comment is that while I don't really care which
> >interface people use on their phones, it seems like the data interfaces
> >should be the same... If I open up qtopia phone edition and look at my
> >contacts or maybe even edit them and then close it down and open up my
> >OM interface and look at them, they should be the same.  All edit are
> >visible.. No double entry.
>
> Agreed, but I'd take it one step further. Given the neo has an
> internet connection, why can't PIM data be stored on a web server and
> just cached locally. Couldn't you then integrate that into desktop PIM
> applications too?
>
> Ok, so this isn't a new idea. :-) Evolution Data Server supports
> integration to groupware backends, but from what I've seen, these are
> enterprise-class groupware servers designed for corporations. I can't
> seem to find anything designed for the consumer, an
> internet-accessible groupware server I can sign up to and store my
> contacts in a single place.
>
> The problem is not local - I'd be surprised if Embedded EDS couldn't
> be adapted to store it's data on a server and just use a cached
> dataset locally. The problem is that this requires some server
> infrastructure and so far I've yet to find something which will do it.
> Has anyone else seen this done?

Interestingly, there was a Google Summer of Code project to write a
Google Calendar backend to EDS. See:
http://ebbyw.wordpress.com/2007/08/30/google-calendar-evolution/

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/