Wireless charger for Neo

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Tue Apr 1 18:19:31 CEST 2008

Hello!

Some mobile phone vendors are now looking into wireless charging. A
wireless charger technology is more user-friendly than the traditional
wired phone chargers. However, users will only truly benefit from the
interoperability between chargers for different phones if the vendors
agree on a common protocol; otherwise, we'll have the same situation as we
have now with wired chargers: every phone vendor makes their own charger
incompatible with the others.

In fact, an open protocol for transfer of electricity over IP has existed
since 2002: RFC 3251 <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3251.txt>. After DVE
(Discrete Voltage Encoding), the electric current can be quickly and
securely transmitted to one or more devices over WiFi or Bluetooth in an
MPLampS infrastructure. A consumer device can then decode the voltage and
use it to recharge its battery.

Will OpenMoko, with its openness, be the first to implement MPLampS?