Car charger to GTA02

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Tue Apr 1 18:01:43 CEST 2008

A generic solution can be built this way:

1. Locate a generic USB car charger e.g.
http://www.daydeal.com/product.php?productid=10892. Make sure it can
supply at least 1A. Note in my example that the specs don't say this,
but if you look at the picture carefully you can read the 1A on the
label. They are very common. I think I found one for less than $2.00.

2. Purchase a standard USB A to Mini B cable,e.g.
http://www.cablesforless.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=14660.
These too are common. I have about 4 left over from digital cameras. You
can probably get them for free by asking your friends and relatives.

3. Carefully slice open the cable and solder in the appropriate resistor
between the appropriate conductors (someone needs to document this)

Now you have a generic USB car adapter that you can use on any device,
and a special USB cable that can probably be used to charge your GTA02
on most standard USB chargers.

I say "probably" and "most" because of all the non-standard methods
manufacturers, including us, use to identify their own charger to their
own devices, like shorting various pins or installing resistors between
various pins. I would imagine some combinations will not work.

By the way, if someone nicely documents step 3, including the resistor
value, and how to identify which wires go to which pins, with excellent
drawings or photographs, I'll nominate that for a "developer of the
week" award :-)

Michael