support win mobile

Ian Darwin ian at darwinsys.com
Tue Apr 1 23:29:21 CEST 2008

Ryan Prior wrote:
> This really shows how little the OpenMoko community understands the
> Neo. Why port Windows Mobile when we could be porting Windows 3.1?
>
> Windows 3.1 is a lightweight OS which has excellent application
> support from a broad and stable base of industry, and which has
> successors which we know to be of excellent quality. As the
> capabilities of future Neo phones increase, we have an upgrade path
> which we know to be successful and an ever-expanding number of
> applications supported.
>
> The future is DOS - Windows 3.1

By an amazing coincidence (this being April 1, that is), somebody wrote a
HIMEM.SYS driver for UNIX (initially OpenBSD) and released it today.

 From OpenBSD-Mickey's posting to tech@:
80s are back and so is HIMEM.SYS now for the modern 32bit
architecture known as i386 or "that intel crap."

yes as you can have guessed already it gives your >4G
memory another chance at life reincarnated as scsi disk.

	http://mickey.lucifier.net/himem.sys

you can read it write it and damn swap on it if you want!
credit shall be given to mpf for a productive discussion
where this most atypical concept had been born few months
ago and later became stations creation in about 30h (and
a bottle of port) and later debugged/tested in a few more
other more sober hours...

few caveats:
- man page coming soon!
- booting is not supported (yet);
- one needs to disklabel+newfs(or dd(2) some image) it before use;
- it will get some performance improvement;
- not stress-tested much (yet).

here is samples:
himem0 at root: size 768MB
scsibus2 at himem0: 1 targets
sd2 at scsibus2 targ 0 lun 0: <McIkye, HIMEM drive, 1.0> SCSI2 0/direct
fixed
sd2: 768MB, 12 cyl, 255 head, 63 sec, 4096 bytes/sec, 196608 sec total

What's amazing is that, unlike most April 1 jokes, this seems actually
to work.
I say "seems" because I don't have enough RAM to run it :-)