Loosing your moko

joerg at openmoko.org joerg at openmoko.org
Fri Apr 4 18:45:22 CEST 2008

Am Fr  4. April 2008 schrieb Marco Trevisan (Treviño):
> Just a question: can I have a "passive" GPRS connection: I mean, I call
> my or newer number "asking it" to connect to somewhere...

Of course you may trigger GPRS-register e.g. by sending some magic sms,
but there is no such thing as a GPRS call.
GPRS is "always online" data transmitted between mobile and base station, with
a different protocol than GSM-calls. If your sim doesn't allow for GPRS, no
call will help.
You may place GSM-data calls to a mobile special data number by using a modem
(or via ISDN by setting data-service flag), same way you can fax. Anyway this
is limited to 9600/14400 b/s datarate.

cheers
jOERG