locale the openmoko

Oleg Sadov sadov at linux-ink.ru
Wed Apr 9 19:01:57 CEST 2008

It's possible, but it's not very simple :(

We have the same problem with OpenMoko localization in Russia and
working for resolving them for Russian (and not only) language.

Quick&dirty localization way:

1. Setting up of system locale at the beginning of startup
script /usr/bin/x-window-manager.

For example, Simplified Chinese for Continental China:

export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8

or Traditional Chinese for Taiwan:

export LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8

2. Append localization strings to desktop files
at /usr/share/applications and /usr/share/matchbox/vfolders.

For example, changed openmoko-calculator.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Calculator
Name[fr]=Calculatrice
Name[it]=Calcolatrice
Name[ru]=Калькулятор
Name[sv]=Miniräknare
Name[zh_CN]=计算器
Name[zh_TW]=計算機
Comment=Perform simple calculations
Comment[ru]=Выполняет простейшие вычисления
Comment[zh_CN]=执行计算
Comment[zh_TW]=進行計算
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Exec=openmoko-calculator
Icon=openmoko-calculator
Terminal=false
Categories=GTK;Application;Office
SingleInstance=true
StartupNotify=true

Be careful: don't translate Name field in contacts.desktop,
openmoko-dates.desktop, openmoko-dialer.desktop and
openmoko-messages.desktop. It seems like strange feature (or bug) of
openmoko-today, but c'est la vie -- corresponding buttons at main screen
will not be clickable :(...

3. If stars will have good positions in the sky, you can see chinesefied
application descriptions after OpenMoko starting ;).

Best wishes!
--Oleg