Hardware update

steve steve at openmoko.com
Thu Apr 10 00:39:44 CEST 2008

The reasons are twofold.

1. The board was designed to operate at 400MHZ. It was designed to run at
400Mhz because the CPU we chose was rated at 400MHz. So running faster than
400MHZ is NOT within the design spec.  The phone will ship with a 500MHZ
processor because that is what we can buy. Simple. we ordered 400 MHZ.
we designed to 400Mhz, and the part we can physically purchase is 500MHZ.

So, if I say its 400MHZ and somebody checks the chip, they will say " HEY
it's 500MHZ" and if I say its 500MHZ and somebody checks the speed it runs
at they will say " HEY its 400 Mhz"

2. Even if I could run it at 500Mhz the battery life would suffer.

So. We designed it to run at 400. All the cpus are rated at 500.

Steve