Unofficial poll: Do you want 3G in the proposed successor, GTA03?

Jeremiah Flerchinger jeremiah.flerchinger at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 04:05:00 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 4:26 AM, Hugo Mills <hugo-om at carfax.org.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 09:28:02PM -0500, Mark Arvidson wrote:
> > I use my phone's
> > EDGE capabilities while riding across Texas to the next family event...
> >
> > As it is, I don't use Wifi much (of course, I don't have it on my phone
> > yet).  There are very few free places to use it around here, and their
> > ranges are rather limited.  Traveling at 75 mph down a highway means
> > hotspots come and go in a few seconds, so that's not even a potential
> > problem solver for me.
>
>   I'm almost precisely the opposite use case. I'm almost always
> somewhere with stable wireless access. I don't really care too much
> about fast data access over the phone network, but having
> 802.11(whatever) in the device is a must for me.
>
>   Hugo.

I myself am also much closer to Hugo.  If I want access to data, I'm usually
near someplace with wireless access and would rather use Wifi because it is
free or cheaper.  I also don't think it's wise to drive down a highway and
using a browser, email, or typing in the terminal (hopefully you're the
passenger) - but WiMAX could provide that capability.

We are starting to see a push to integrate WiMAX & WiFi into the same
chipsets and this will only become more common.  I think WiFi is popular
enough & the integration of WiMAX would make it questionable to not include
these technologies together & warrant a seperate module for WiFi/WiMax.
Wouldn't the areas that currently support 3G also be more likely to quickly
adopt a 4G technology like WiMax?  Why not skip 3G and go straight to 4G?