Unofficial poll: / 3G Network Sheepshearing

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 19:29:07 CEST 2008

Well put! I could not agree more.

It is expensive to use wireless internet connection over the mobile network.
I understand the reasons and the providers. They have several reasons for
the high prices:
 - The network is not designed for so much traffic and will break down if
everybody look at youtube videos from their mobile phone.
 - Here (in Norway) it is not so many people per square meter, which means
it is very expensive to upgrade the network
 -  Why upgrade to a bad technology now, when nobody wants it in a few
years?
 - If they do an upgrade, their general rule is that they should be able to
earn in the money within 3 years (really not so strange)

Here we pay about 4 USD per MB after we used up the 20MB we get each month
(that we payed 60 monthly USD for).
We can get a "unlimited" (only limited by the speed of 380kb/s) for 100
USD/month.
To compare, 100Mb/s sync fiber (unlimitedd, and with IP phone, static public
IP and IPTV) to the house cost around 80 USD/month but is not available all
places.

So, my conclusion is that Internet access over the mobile network is
practical when you really need to check something and you are far away from
a landline. For everything else, wifi has come to stay.