Data over normal GSM call

Stefan Misch misel at misel.de
Fri Apr 11 19:48:48 CEST 2008

Hi,

I just talked about this issue with a colleague who uses an HTC PDA with windows
mobile. For the data connection he uses a dial-up connection as a modem. He
doesn't have a data plan but a flat fee for voice calls into land lines.

He says he gets about up to 4K/s which is not much of course but it's still
possible to view light websites or emails with it. (I would not want to use it
with Google Maps for example which is one of the key features why I would want
mobile internet access.)

So I don't think it's impossible. Maybe the hardware and the codecs are
different on OpenMoko but I doubt that this is an obstacle that cannot be overcome.

All best,
Stefan