Smart LCD birght/dim...

"Marco Trevisan (Treviño)" mail at 3v1n0.net
Sat Apr 12 02:50:11 CEST 2008

Since Freerunner won't have an hardware light sensor to set its LCD
brightness, I got some ideas about smartly changing the luminance of the
GTA02 screen to save its battery (still with an unknown life time :/).
Of course they aren't and never will be precise as an hardware sensor
is, but it's the only thing we have:

1) Setting the brightness following the hour of the day: also if the
phone can't know if it's sunny or cloudy, neither if you're indoor or
outdoor, it's clear that just knowing the hour of the day, the date and
your latitude (to be set once via GPS) the phone can easily know when
the sun will rise and set, and so it will be possible increasing or
reducing the LCD brightness.
Also if you're indoor, I guess that when the sun is "gone" you won't
need so much luminance...

2) Using personal profiles that follow your habits: you could define,
for each hour of each week day the "presumed" luminance, using something
like a calendar. I mean, if on working-days I generally stay indoor
every day from 8:30 to 13:00 and from 15:00 to the 19:00 I figure that
on these intervals I don't need all the LCD power, so I'll set in my
"calendar" that on such interval I'll be indoor...
I guess that many of you would follow a routine durning the week, why
don't educate your phone for it!?

3) Setting the luminance following the weather. Of course I've no light
sensors, neither a barometer :P, but if I've a working connection
available I could use the weather data downloaded every few minutes (60,
for example) from internet to change my screen brightness (of course
merging these informations with points 1 and 2)

What do you think about them?
I do think that they are really simple to implement, and that also if
they won't guarantee a perferct result, they could be a "smart" workaround.

--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/