Data over normal GSM call

joerg at openmoko.org joerg at openmoko.org
Sat Apr 12 11:34:16 CEST 2008

Am Fr  11. April 2008 schrieb Stefan Misch:
> Hi,
>
> I just talked about this issue with a colleague who uses an HTC PDA with
windows
> mobile. For the data connection he uses a dial-up connection as a modem. He
> doesn't have a data plan but a flat fee for voice calls into land lines.
>
> He says he gets about up to 4K/s which is not much of course but it's still
> possible to view light websites or emails with it. (I would not want to use
it
> with Google Maps for example which is one of the key features why I would
want
> mobile internet access.)
>
> So I don't think it's impossible. Maybe the hardware and the codecs are
> different on OpenMoko but I doubt that this is an obstacle that cannot be
overcome.

> All best,
> Stefan

That's simple CSD (see other posts of this thread). AFAIK it's supported by
all carriers in Germany. I used it ~year2000 with a Nokia 6210 and a Palm5 on
O2 without any problem. You can access internet via provider's accesspoint,
or you can dial up a modem connected number at your home to run your own
accesspoint/proxy. Anyways it's normal connection fee (as of y2k).

cheers
jOERG