Charger? (was: Re: FreeRunner Pricing and PVT update)

Marcus Bauer marcus.bauer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 09:25:02 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 08:38 +0200, Erland Lewin wrote:
> 2008/4/14, steve <steve at openmoko.com>:
>           1. We have a custom charger that can fast charge the phone.
>           2. Standard usb chargers will work just fine.
>
> How long will charging the phone take with the fast charger vs. a
> normal charger?
>
> If a standard USB charger will take on the order of 12 hours (1200 mAh
> battery / 100 mA, probably more due <100% efficiency), that is really
> borderline of what sounds acceptable, if an overnight charge won't be
> enough to fully charge the phone.

There have been plenty of discussions about this on the lists and the
great news is that the Neo can use any USB charger.

I have a Neo 1973 and use it on a daily basis. The great thing is that
you don't need any special charger, you can use any $5 charger and it
works. There is a small program out there that can pop up a dialog
whenever it sees the Neo only charging at 100mA and asking if you want
to draw 500mA.

It really is a non issue. I have a couple of those chargers for
home/office/car/travel and they all work and charge plenty of other
devices too. IMHO a great design decision to use USB for charging.
Finally there is an end coming to have all these different chargers
around.

So I just can second Steve:
"2. Standard usb chargers will work just fine."

Marcus