FreeRunner Pricing and PVT update

Jason Self jason.self at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 16:05:31 CEST 2008

On Mon Apr 14 12:58:04 CEST 2008 Jay Vaughan wrote:
> But you still have to hack up a cable to make it work.  Thus, it
> should be included in the Freeruner, in my opinion ..

It is not necessary to modify a cable to fast charge the device. All
that is needed is something like [1] (which costs US$3) and the
software from [2] and you have fast charging without modifying a cable
or relying upon the folks from OpenMoko to get into the accessory
business.

The only thing that the the custom charger does is include a resistor
that provides GTA0x a way to recognize the charger so that it
automatically draws the full amount and [2] isn't needed.

Opening the accessory business is A Good Thing. Including a charger is
not necessary.

[1] http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11566
[2] http://projects.openmoko.org/projects/thunder/