Target Market (was: Re: Charger?)

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Tue Apr 15 08:44:20 CEST 2008

Am 14.04.2008 um 22:08 schrieb Marcus Bauer:
> On Mon, 2008-04-14 at 20:06 +0200, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>> I have made the same observations when showing the Neo. An additional
>> feedback came from a former key account manager who had sold millions
>> of phones to Vodafone and other MNOs: it is impossible to sell this
>> industrial design to any mobile network operator because they are
>> fashion and not technology driven.
>
> My personal view is looking at the Neo as a Linux computer and not
> just
> as a phone - this opens a completely different perspective: as such
> the
> Neo is an absolutely unique device. There is only one similar device
> which is the N810 but it lacks the GSM modem.
>
> It is a Linux computer that simply fits into your pocket.

Yes, it is a Linux computer that fits into our pockets.

But who cares? Only our small community of Linux geeks. But there
is no *mass market* for that.

The mass market is not interested in

a) computer in the pocket
b) what is inside a device (Linux or something else)

It must
* look great
* be easy to use
* simply work
* entertain
* cheap is better

The iPhone is not marketed as a Computer. It is marketed as the
combination of
Internet, Music player and Communicator. So, it is an Entertainment
player device.
Everyone wants to get entertainment. Therefore it has positive appeal
for the masses.

Our community is IMHO a small community for which Linux and freedom of
software
development is the most attractive entertainment.

Therefore, I conclude that the Neo will remain a niche product unless
it becomes
more consumer oriented (as the original post indicated) - or someone
makes
the masses clear that they need a Linux computer in their pocket.

An old rule says: people buy what they think they want, not what you
think they need.

-- hns