Unofficial poll: Do you want 3G in the proposed successor, GTA 03?

Carlo E. Prelz fluido at fluido.as
Tue Apr 15 17:29:12 CEST 2008

	Subject: Re: Unofficial poll: Do you want 3G in the proposed successor, GTA 03?
	Date: Tue 15 Apr 08 05:09:32PM +0200

Quoting Ortwin Regel (ortwin at gmail.com):

> Well, it would mean that the casing changes significantly. That means
> lots of work and cost so it's not a trivial change. I don't think it's
> worth doing this (or even reasonably possible in time) before the next
> hardware revision.

>From what I understand, changing important elements of the hardware is
what absorbs the largest amount of time and energy. I believe that
adding 3G cannot take place without changing at least the cell radio,
and possibly a lot more.

Adapting to other cases is certainly not trivial, but the possibility
to keep most of the electronic circuit equal would allow FIC to avoid
redesign, much of testing, and most certification hassles. You feed
the same circuit into the electronics CAD program, with a different
shape for the PC board. As I am saying, not trivial, but I believe
easier than changing an important element as the cell radio

QWERTY keyboards and appropriate cases are, I believe, produced
already, and can be subcontracted. There is no surprise in a QWERTY
keyboard.

There was also FIC's plan to produce *a number* of devices, based on
the hardware that is currently being finalized. I hope that one of
them will be a device with a real keyboard, and I think it appropriate
for me to show that there is support for such a device.

Carlo

* K * Carlo E. Prelz - fluido at fluido.as             che bisogno ci sarebbe