Unofficial poll: Do you want 3G in the proposed successor, GTA 03?

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 11:30:44 CEST 2008

On 4/16/08, Justyn Butler
<justynbutler+openmoko at googlemail.com<justynbutler%2Bopenmoko at googlemail.com>>
wrote:

> On 15/04/2008, Carlo E. Prelz <fluido at fluido.as> wrote:
> >  QWERTY keyboards and appropriate cases are, I believe, produced
> >  already, and can be subcontracted. There is no surprise in a QWERTY
> >  keyboard.
> >
> >  There was also FIC's plan to produce *a number* of devices, based on
> >  the hardware that is currently being finalized. I hope that one of
> >  them will be a device with a real keyboard, and I think it appropriate
> >  for me to show that there is support for such a device.
>
> It would be great to see the next generation of Openmoko hardware fork
> into two devices to help satisfy the more opposing types of
> requirements from the community.
>
> One could perhaps be as small as possible, and lower cost. The other
> might go for extra features like a keyboard, camera, two sim cards
> etc.

I assume they don't want to redesign the whole layout. I understood that
implementing dual sim support would be too much work, because it is not as
trivial as I thought. A keypad would result in a lot of case design issues.
I think camera + 3G would be doable and I would be happy with that.
And maybe also an IR transmitter (so we can use it as an remote control) and
other stuff like a thermistor would be easy to implement. I will add this to
my neo when I get it:)
--
Please don't send me Word or PowerPoint attachments. See

Join the FSF as an Associate Member at:
<URL:http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=5774>