FreeRunner Pricing and PVT update

Michele Renda michele.renda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 19:20:19 CEST 2008

steve wrote:
> One goal of freeing the CAD , freeing the flesh of the phone, was to
> enable others to seize these opportunities.
> So, the CAD files for the FreeRunner are out there, before it has even
> shipped. I think this decision is
> underappreciated.
> The per piece cost of plastic is small.  Go price a pound of plastic.
> The risk is tooling. We reduced that
> by making CAD data open.
> Long LONG ago, you had to pay big set up fees to Print a document.
> That has come down over time.
>  I want to enable a world were you can print parts. Trust me, I am not
> happy when I tell people
> that they cant get pink. If you want pink, you should get pink.
> That doesnt entail that I should build pink. I enable people to make
> it pink by publishing CAD files.
> If you think pink, then I'll sell you the electronics that go under
> those pink platistics

One of the reasons because I will buy a Freerunner is this openess there
is in this project. Accondig me it is a so new thing that a lot of
person don't understand what it mean.
It is a new market, and a realy new street for an hardware producer.

I hope that in the future people will understand the value of this choice :)