FreeRunner Pricing and PVT update

Kevin Dean kevin at foreverdean.info
Thu Apr 17 03:28:11 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:11 PM, Lon Lentz <lon.lentz at gmail.com> wrote:
>  For quite a while now I've been reading comments from people saying
>  that this issue or that issue is a "deal breaker". I've been reading
>  hardware requests and demands that stretch the gambit from quaint and
>  interesting to just down right silly. If this is the environment in
>  which all FOSS is developed, it's amazing we have a kernel to run it
>  all on. I'm all about presenting and discussing ideas. But the making
>  of demands in this environment is extreme.

This is the same environment. You'll see the same divide between
"consumers" of software and "developers" of it. Community driven
development and thick skin go hand in hand.

>   FIC and OM have come up with a hardware platform to meet a
>  predetermined need and market. If someone thinks some major item is
>  missing, create a competitor. Fork the hardware.

Forking is a bad word in "open source" but it's the lifeblood of a
free market. :) I think the release of the CAD files was a pretty
clear indication that Openmoko wants to see, but doesn't want to be
the burden bearer, of customization and innovation in the hardware and
associated accessories.

There's NOTHING wrong with that. Before starting to look down and say
"You people complain too much" keep in mind that most people "voting
with their $currency" understand what's happening. Openmoko will get
my money without a pink/blue/red/green/cloaking case.

>   In all fairness though, I think calling the release of the CAD files
>  under appreciated is a little premature.

I think that's a fair assessment. Very few people really understand
the signifigance of that action. Motorola makes quite a bit of money
around their branded accessories and frankly, they're not always top
quality. The same can be said for many others. Openmoko is doing
hardware and software and community building... Let the community and
the fabricators and the entreprenuers do the accessories. I think
Openmoko has the potential to tap into the "Mac Cult" behavior that
Apple taps, though on a smaller scale at first.

I've already got my "bouncing guy in a spinning circle" windshiled
decals being die-cut, anyone want some? :P

> Accessories companies are
>  going to wait to see what the adoption of this phone will be like.
>  Then they will make business decisions about risk versus benefit. If
>  the phone does become "successful", that is moving enough units to
>  make it profitable for FIC and the accessories makers, we will see the
>  CAD files be put to use outside of hobbiests.

Absolutely. Something I really hope to see is companies like iGo (I
have to admit, I like their products!) adopt the "Openmoko Freerunner
compatible" sticker. For some of these manufacturers they can adopt
and "certify" a brand for a few man-hours and the price of a sticker.
They win as they sell sexy, glowing products and Openmoko wins as free
software based phones are adopted by the marketplace.