3G? What about CDMA?

Brad Midgley bmidgley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 16:45:32 CEST 2008

Steven

> I talk with friends and co-workers about OpenMoko and the Neo
>  Freerunner all the time.  Inevitably, they say something like "That's
>  cool.  Will it work with Verizon?"

I believe making something that will work with verizon/sprint is not
just a technical but also political task. The politics might
ultimately be in conflict with the mission of openness for neo

In the GSM world, you swap the sim and just expect it to work (gsm
carriers rarely blacklist devices) but with verizon/sprint it requires
a phone call or trip to the local store. If FIC enables CDMA but
doesn't work out agreements with the carriers, the carrier will likely
refuse to activate the phone for their network.

--
Brad