Terminology (was: Charging Neo Freerunner via USB port)

Erland Lewin erland at lewin.nu
Sat Apr 19 17:46:18 CEST 2008

2008/4/19, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer <mickey at openmoko.org>:

> Feature phones only differ between talk time and standby time.
> For us, it's a bit more complicated, since we have more modes.
>
> Can we agree on the following:
>
> usage time = CPU is powered on, lots of peripherals have power and you're
> actually talking and doing lots of things.
>
> standby time = CPU is powered on, but the display and most peripherals are
> off
> to save power. You are doing something that requires the CPU to be on
> though.
>
> suspend time = CPU is powered off. only gsm (and RTC and some other wakeup
> sources) are listening for events.

Why can't we keep the existing terminology?

I think what you refer to as 'suspend time' should really be called 'standby
time', since it is how most people think of it - how long will the battery
last when the phone is not being used.

What you call 'usage time' I think we could keep calling 'talk time', since
it seems to me to be the same thing, and is in common use.

What you call 'standby time' doesn't seem like a very important state to me,
I would think that for most people the phone would either be used (what you
call 'usage time'), or in your pocket or whatever, when you want maximum
battery time, what you call 'suspend time'. Maybe we could call it 'music
playback time', since that seems to be one usage of this mode.

/Erland