SIM Toolkit (STK) in openmoko? (was Re: "home zone" functionality)

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Sun Apr 20 22:41:25 CEST 2008

Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 01:26:59 +0200, Kiro Zimmer <openmoko at kironet.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Does openmoko support STK?

Qtopia does, but has not yet been implemented for the Neo.
http://doc.trolltech.com/qtopia4.3/fd-SIMToolkit.html

> The last thing I heard (couldn't dig it up, though) was that OM is never
> going to support SIM toolkit because STK is often used by cell operators
> to take control of the phone, cripple its features etc, which is
> contrary to the “Free your phone” spirit of OpenMoko.

STK is more likely used for adding value added services to your phone.

According to wikipedia, "Some manufacturers claim that STK enables
higher levels of security through identity verification and encryption"

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech