99

Nick Guenther kousue at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 02:29:01 CEST 2008

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 8:19 PM, Brandon Kruger <bmk789 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun April 20 2008 7:27:06 pm Kevin Dean wrote:
>  > I'm happy paying $399 for all ye who feel the need to pay $400 to make
>  > it even. :P Though, I'll hop on the even bandwagon if it's dropped as
>  > long as Openmoko makes profit. :)
>  >
>  > If you really want to pay more, you could set up a "Tip a Developer"
>  > program...
>  >
>  > -Kevin
>  >
>  > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Daniel Selinger <slite at gmx.at> wrote:
>  > > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 23:11:59 +0200
>  > >
>  > >  "Alexey Feldgendler" <alexey at feldgendler.ru> wrote:
>  > >  > The prices for GTA02 and the debug board are $399 and $99,
>  > >  > respectively. While there's nothing wrong with charging exactly 99
>  > >  > dollars for something, the practice of reducing a round price by one
>  > >  > dollar, AKA <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_pricing> is
>  > >  > often associated with cheap marketing tricks, trying to make the
>  > >  > price look less than it is and so on. In my opinion, admitting that a
>  > >  > hundred is a hundred and charging $400 and $100 for GTA02 and the
>  > >  > debug board would fit better into the OpenMoko spirit of openness and
>  > >  > transparency. Especially when most of the other prices out there end
>  > >  > with 95 or 99, a round price tag will send a message: "We're honest
>  > >  > with you and aren't messing with your mind like others do".
>  > >
>  > >  nice thought
>  > >  /sign
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >  _______________________________________________
>  > >  Openmoko community mailing list
>  > >  community at lists.openmoko.org
>  >
>  > Openmoko community mailing list
>  > community at lists.openmoko.org
>
>  This "tip a programmer" idea is very interesting.  What does the community
>  think about setting up a site where people can say "We'll each donate x
>  amount once y feature is integrated" or something of the sort.  This way,
>  Openmoko can see what features are most important to the community and the
>  community would be able to donate to OM to help develop and research future
>  products.

No, don't do this! For one, the overhead of managing that is and
making sure all the details are fair to everyone is too much for what
it'll pull in. For two, it'll mean that features get implemented, but
not implemented well, and the coverage of features will be to the
preferences of whoever (linux-land hacker, remember) pays the most,
instead of what this phone needs to succeed commercially.
Seriously, stay on track guys.
-nick