99 vs RED (or was it PINK) Phone cases

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Mon Apr 21 11:04:48 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:05:20 +0200, Ron K. Jeffries <rjeffries at gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's wonderful the focus of  the community is now
> all about $399 vs $400 rather than availability
> of Freerunner in certain colors.

That's the marvel of communities. All it takes is a good topic-starter. :-)

> and YES I agree, the remaining V5 vs V6 issues seem small
> (but we did get extra info and  clarification, thanks Tony).

BTW, there is a way to work around the v5 issue in software. Because the
LED in an unmodified v5 shines 6 or so times as bright as it should (and
eats 6 times more power), the solution is to correct the brightness with
PWM to reduce it 6 times. This would bring the brightness and power
consumption to normal. However, I suspect that for many community members
who were so eager to prefer v6 over v5, simply knowing that there is a
workaround, and thus no known unavoidable hardware bugs exist in v5, would
be enough, and actually implementing the workaround would not be that
important. :-)