What US plans are people using?

ian douglas ian.douglas at iandouglas.com
Wed Apr 23 18:55:52 CEST 2008

Yes, AT&T uses both 850 and either 1800 or 1900 (I forget which at the
moment, maybe 1900 and TMobile uses 1800, or vice versa?).

In my last apartment, where there were a lot of buildings very close
together, lots of concrete, etc., my usual AT&T phone (Blackjack 2)
would only connect on the lower frequency and display the EDGE logo all
the time, and the phone would often cause other electronics with
speakers to buzz horrendously -- haven't had that problem in the new
place where my Blackjack 2 displays that it's connected to 3G all the
time instead of EDGE.

But I was able to consistently test that, within my old apartment, the
Neo would only connect on TMobile when I was indoors, and would only
connect on AT&T if I was out in the open outside in the courtyard where,
I guess, the higher frequency network could get through. I was never
able to connect to AT&T indoors at the old place.

Once I get a Freerunner, I'll go visit a friend at the old apartment
complex, and test that the 850MHz mode on the Freerunner can connect on
the lower frequency.

-id