Openmoko at EuroPython 2008?

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Apr 28 00:25:09 CEST 2008

I have been following the Openmoko project ever since the project went public,
and have for some time been wanting to get more involved in experimenting
with the software (and eventually the hardware), but this is my first message
to any of the mailing lists. I'm a Python developer and a volunteer organiser
for the EuroPython conference, held this year in Vilnius, Lithuania from 7th
July until 9th July (with development sprints held afterwards from 10th July
until 12th July).

I was wondering whether any developers in the Openmoko community had
considered submitting a talk for EuroPython 2008, particularly those using
Python as a development language. Previous EuroPython conferences have
featured talks describing Python on other mobile devices, but the openness of
the Neo devices raises the level of interest beyond anything previously
featured at EuroPython, in my opinion.

Details of talk submissions and other activities at the conference can be
found here:

  http://www.europython.org/community/CallForParticipation

The EuroPython site can be found here:

  http://www.europython.org/

In previous years, talks showing Python running on Symbian-based devices have
attracted some attention, but without seeking to disparage such work, I think
it's clear that the state of the art has moved on. Certainly, I'd be very
interested to see Openmoko-related presentations at EuroPython which show
just how far open mobile technologies have progressed and how important (and
exciting) such technologies are for both users and developers.

Paul

P.S. I apologise if anyone perceives this message to be overly promotional. My
intention is merely to encourage people to consider EuroPython as a venue to
show the exciting things going on in this community to an audience who, in my
opinion, would gain a lot from seeing such things. EuroPython is a
volunteer-run, non-commercial, community event.