comparisons

Ajit Natarajan ajitk at email.com
Mon Apr 28 22:00:50 CEST 2008

Hello,

I believe that we are targeting the Freerunner to eventually be an end
consumer smart phone.  Many end consumers are likely to want to compare
the Freerunner to its competitors, e.g., Apple iPhone and HTC Touch.
Perhaps it would be good to compare the Freerunner against popular
alternatives feature by feature.

I can see that openness has already been documented and analyzed [1].
But we could document the other features as well:

. Battery life (talk time, standby time)
. Frequencies (triband 850/1800/1900, 900/1800/1900, quadband)
. Wireless technologies (WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.)
. Screen resolution
. Max. movie resolution, fps
. Accelerometer differences, if any
. GPS
. Supplied accessories
. Radiation
. Standard apps
. Price
. Warranty

The list goes on.

The Freerunner will shine in some cases; the competition will in others.
  But this list will present the end consumer with an objective way to
compare.

If such documentation is already available, please point me to it.
Otherwise, it may be good to start a wiki page to document what we know
of the Freerunner and its competitors.

Thanks!

Ajit

[1] http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Problems_of_typical_"closed"_phones