Engineering Driven vs. Community Driven (was Re: Ugliness)

Crane, Matthew mcrane03 at harris.com
Tue Apr 29 19:22:58 CEST 2008

I understand what you're saying about engineers tossing a product over
the wall being a throw back.  *Of course* there's back and forth and
both marketing and rnd contributing to each other..

But I think it is typical for engineers to yearn for a larger role in
marketing decisions and, less so, marketing to overstate their role in
product engineering.   Both groups have strong investments in the
product dev process in different ways.   I think engineering tends to be
more of a group development effort, where marketing relies more on the
strength of individuals, all with very good reasons.

If the concerns are too overlapped, or if there is no seperation and
specialization, I don't think that works well generally.  I think
there's very high value wrt role seperation and specialization.   I
don't think it was suggested that there was some kind of wall in the
middle, that's ridiculous.  But the best products come from a respect
for the others roles and intense focus on what people are good at.

Matt