Freerunner GPS not working

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 11:54:07 CEST 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008, Jan Keymeulen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm unable to get a GPS fix on my Freerunner, S/N 8A8602882. I'm using
> a "Linux om-gta02 2.6.24 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jul 30 11:56:48 CEST 2008"
> kernel with the stock 2007.2 that came with the Freerunner.
>
> After trying agpsui as descibed in the wiki for about an hour - without any
> satellites seen and trying the instructions given in
> http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/support/2008-July/000899.html I still
> don't get squad. Of course, tangogps and the lot don't work either.
>
> For those who understand NMEA, I'm seeing the following sequence in a
> apparently endless loop:
>
> $GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
> $GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
> $GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
> $GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
> $GPGSV,1,1,00*79
> $GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
> $GPZDA,,,,,00,00*48
>
> For as far I can see, the internal antenna connector is seated well.
>
> Any ideas?

Is it in a location that's known to have a usable GPS signal? I found that in
some locations my Garmin sometimes couldn't get a fix either. If you can do
it side by side testing would be useful.

Have you tried without the SD card present? While the kernel you have gives
reasonable performance with the SD present in my experience, testing without
SD would help to narrow things down a bit.

Do you have access to an external antenna?