Freerunner GPS not working

Jan Keymeulen spam at keymeulen.com
Fri Aug 1 12:13:09 CEST 2008

Op Fri 01 August 2008 om 10:54:07 GMT wist Al Johnson te vertellen:
> On Friday 01 August 2008, Jan Keymeulen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm unable to get a GPS fix on my Freerunner, S/N 8A8602882. I'm using
> > a "Linux om-gta02 2.6.24 #1 PREEMPT Wed Jul 30 11:56:48 CEST 2008"
> > kernel with the stock 2007.2 that came with the Freerunner.
> >
> > After trying agpsui as descibed in the wiki for about an hour - without any
> > satellites seen and trying the instructions given in
> > http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/support/2008-July/000899.html I still
> > don't get squad. Of course, tangogps and the lot don't work either.
> >
> > For those who understand NMEA, I'm seeing the following sequence in a
> > apparently endless loop:
> >
> > $GPRMC,,V,,,,,,,,,,N*53
> > $GPVTG,,,,,,,,,N*30
> > $GPGGA,,,,,,0,00,99.99,,,,,,*48
> > $GPGSA,A,1,,,,,,,,,,,,,99.99,99.99,99.99*30
> > $GPGSV,1,1,00*79
> > $GPGLL,,,,,,V,N*64
> > $GPZDA,,,,,00,00*48
> >
> > For as far I can see, the internal antenna connector is seated well.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Is it in a location that's known to have a usable GPS signal? I found that in
> some locations my Garmin sometimes couldn't get a fix either. If you can do
> it side by side testing would be useful.

My ancient Garmin GPS-45 manages to get a fix, so I don't think that's the
issue.

> Have you tried without the SD card present? While the kernel you have gives
> reasonable performance with the SD present in my experience, testing without
> SD would help to narrow things down a bit.

Yup, no SD card present.

> Do you have access to an external antenna?

No, unfortunatly not.

--
"I like to watch the news, because I don't like people very much and
when you watch the news ... if you ever had an idea that people were