Which AT&T data plans are compatible?

ian douglas ian.douglas at iandouglas.com
Fri Aug 1 18:56:24 CEST 2008

Ken Restivo wrote:
> They actually hire people to sit around and snoop people's UserAgent strings?

It's easy to automate since surfing non-SSL sites should send your HTTP
headers in plain text, so they you can simply watch the packets and keep
track of data counts, browsers, etc. for each wireless account.

>> Their unlimited data plan used to be $20/month but they raised it to $30
>> for the new iPhone. Tethering adds even more because they expect that
>> you'll be downloading much more data than users who don't tether.
>
> So "unlimited data" isn't "unlimited" at all?

As far as I've seen, personally, it's unlimited. Of course, I tend not
to tether my AT&T phone to my laptop and download ISO-sized files or
anything. I'm sure if you reach a certain amount of traffic, they'll
notice you. Last month I only downloaded about 60MB on my phone.

> But I'm told that Sprint Metro PCS allows unlimited data, and tethering, for US$60/mo

That's slightly cheaper than AT&T then, who charges me $69/month for
unlimited data plus tethering.

-id