/qtopia/ hard to "Answer"

Yaroslav Halchenko site-openmoko.org at onerussian.com
Fri Aug 1 21:29:14 CEST 2008

Although the rest seems to be working quite fine, and even battery life
is tolerable, with pure qtopia I am experiencing 1 unpleasant effect
(which while writing this email unrolled a bit ;-)

I am running:
root at om-gta02:~# cat /etc/version
200807100425
root at om-gta02:~# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.24 (mwester at blocks) (gcc version 4.1.2) #71 PREEMPT Wed Jul 16 13:45:35 CDT 2008

not sure where to look for qtopia image specific version, but I believe
I burnt images from the latest tarball
qtopia-4.3.2-gta02-flash-07221045.tgz

NB you might recall my earlier reports about kernel oopses

Whenever I receive a call, screen changes to nice choices to accept or
not the call, but there is 2-4 seconds delay after I press Answer and
anything actually happens. I think that delay was somewhat smaller with
original ringtone (I put some melody in wav file and made it a phone
ring). Also since I am not sure if phone 'sensed' my press, if I press
second time, it would cause phone to accept that press whenever "Drop
the call" button appears on the same place where it was "Answer" and
that immediately drops the call. It might be wise to filter out events
from the queue before reacting on redrawn buttons and even add
500-1000ms delay prior making that "End call" button active.

Few aspects: when I ssh into it via wifi, I see events and avahi-daemon
quite busy (25% and 10% cpu) at that moment. I wonder if that is the
cause for my high-latency reaction to the press of "Answer" (events
niced to -5). I decided to reboot to see if CPU high usage persist

On my first reboot I got white screen and phone was stalled... had to
keep power button pressed for quite long before it shut down

on the next boot it got into QT, showed "No network" and didn't react to
any buttons on the screen (Although they blinked while being pressed,
nothing happened. Unlock item in the bottom left didn't react to
presses). Then it suspended and when I resumed it back -- again
white screen. in a few secs suspended again and then didn't react to any
buttons (ie pow, aux) -- I had to take battery out to power it to shut
it down to power it up again.

prior to 1st reboot battery meter on the screen showed around 50% so I
hoped that would be sufficient, but on 3rd attempt to boot it turned off
somewhere in the beginning -- I had to attach it to usb to make it boot
again.

it booted - and again I got 'no network' message and dead buttons. I
waited a bit again, and this time it got connected to T-Mobile and
everything started to work -- Unlock disappeared, button react now.

Also events/avahi are salient (<1% CPU). So the question would be -- how
to debug what those beasts were doing? strace failed to be ran on
events. But 'slow reaction' effect remained any ways -- I need to click
'answer' very carefully and wait for 3-4 seconds to get actual action.

after suspend/resume (single one) events/avahi remained well-behaving

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]