/qtopia/ how to upgrade without reflashing?

Ole Kliemann ole-om-community-2008 at mail.plastictree.net
Sat Aug 2 00:19:45 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 03:32:52PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Is there an easy way to upgrade qtopia installation without reflashing
> whole rootfs? since /opt/Qtopia is not a part of any package according
> to opkg search, thus is not 'opkg upgrade'able. 1 possibility I see is
> to keep /home/root on a flash and manually mount it to preserve at least
> personal settings and  aphone book, but that would require manual
> remounting after flashing. May be there is a better way??

You can upgrade Qtopia like this:
shutdown Qtopia (/etc/init.d/qpe stop)
remove /opt/Qtopia
copy new Qtopia to /opt/Qtopia (via scp)

That's pretty straight forward. Tricky part is where to get new Qtopia
as tarball or whatever to copy it. One possibility is to compile
yourself. It's not difficult and you are always up-to-date. The
precompiled images are not so often updated.

Get the Qtopia toolchain for FR [1]. Unpacking it to / will install into
/opt/toolchains/arm920t-eabi/
Get the latest snapshot [2].
Create a build dir and run configure -device ficgta01 then build it.

Ole

[1] http://www.qtopia.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=38
[2] ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qtopia/snapshots/