Lack of 3G a killer for Australia

Dale Maggee antisol at internode.on.net
Sat Aug 2 01:21:40 CEST 2008

In reality, the GSM network in Australia has ample coverage. Blanket
statements like 'the FreeRunner will not function well as a phone in
Australia' are patently incorrect.

please provide some evidence as to where 'service is declining badly',
I've *never* heard a story of GSM coverage shrinking, and I know
multiple people at Telstra.

 >I've had to get a 3G handset and carrier just to get consistent phone
reception in my unit and
 >I know several people who've had to do the same thing.

Where are you? What GSM carrier are/were you using? what model phone?
does your building happen to be lead-lined? I find this difficult to
believe, unless you're somewhere rather remote.

-Dale