Sean: Please authorise the release of GTA01 schematics

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Sat Aug 2 11:48:26 CEST 2008

Am So  20. Juli 2008 schrieb Rod Whitby:
> Sean,
>
> Now that the FreeRunner is selling like hotcakes, and your hardware and
> software teams must focus on it to ensure that it succeeds in the
> market, and the GTA01 Neo1973 is no longer in production or being sold
> by Openmoko or its distributors, surely it's the perfect time to release
> the GTA01 hardware schematics?
>
> This would send a clear message to the community and the whole mobile
> ecosystem that Openmoko is a company that doesn't leave it's customers
> in the lurch when it brings out a replacement product like closed
> ecosystem companies do, but that Openmoko is a company that wants it's
> customers to continue to impact the material world with *all* of it's
> products - past, present and future - for many years into the future.
>
> Allow the amateurs to continue to have the distinct advantage over the
> professionals even years after the professionals have moved onto the
> next piece of hardware.  Imagine a world where new uses for 10 year old
> Openmoko hardware are still being found, because the schematics for
> previous generation products are always released when Openmoko ceases to
> produce or sell that product.  Imagine how much wider the impact of
> Openmoko can be if older products are not thrown in the bin due to lack
> of information availabe to repair them, but are instead repaired by
> people in the community or amateur ecosystem and then put back into
> service to continue to spread the word about the clear advantage that
> open source has over the closed ecosystem.
>
> Sean, please release the hardware schematics and pcb layout and
> component placements for the GTA01.
>
> Let the GTA01 run free and continue to impact the material world.
>
> Respectfully,
> -- Rod Whitby

PCB-layout is a little difficult to release - this is a multilayer PCB.
Component placement 01/02 TBD.
Schematics 01 TBD.
Needs some prettyprinting first. Also there are NDA-issues with TI Calypso.
Those parts of schematics we mustn't release you may find elsewhere though
(heard sth about Chinese books on cellphones ;)

Stay assured we won't forget on GTA01 owners.
cheers
jOERG