GPS application (was: Request for help: Would like community applications to show anddiscuss at LinuxWorld)

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Sat Aug 2 12:23:46 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 12:38:07PM +0300, Mikko Rauhala wrote:
> ti, 2008-07-29 kello 20:53 +0200, Marcus Bauer kirjoitti:
> > I'm a huge Openstreetmap fan but until OSM is ready for routing this
> > will take at least five more years, probably ten.
>
> That's probably true _if you drive a car_ (though even for that it can
> be a handy help, especially in areas that don't happen to have lots of
> turn restrictions, though you of course don't want to just blindly drive
> listening to it anyway).
>
> Us others want navigation too and are considerably less hampered by
> OSM's current lackings. 'course, there are other projects than TangoGPS,
> but it seems otherwise nice so one would like it to include this as
> well. As long as I'm not coding it, it's not my call, of course :]
>
> PS: Kudos for your work and all, but with all your hyperbole, jumping to
> conclusions, accusations of lying and stuff, you might want to take a
> step back for a breather if you want, you know, people to bother to
> listen to you instead of just wanting to rant wildly.

I have a really dumb question:

What is the point of having GPS anyway?

I don't travel much, so perhaps that's why I just don't get it.

If I'm navigating around a strange city, though, a hardcopy map is plenty good.

I spend most of my time walking or taking public transport, within a very short radius, in an area I already know very well. I'm just not getting what's cool or exciting about GPS.

-ken