Tmobile GPRS

xaos x xaos at xaositects.com
Sun Aug 3 16:28:52 CEST 2008

First off, the phone I have is the gta02. I've tried using the various settings I've found around the net to get pppd working with the T-mobile total internet plan, but I'm having issues with the connection script failing.

Using the settings from the T-mobile pppd scripts found on the Wiki, it will get to different stages of dialing each time I try it, but will never connect. If iIuse the gsm tool to send the AT commands manually, or if I echo them out in the connection script, it will get to a point where it just hangs. So, I hit CTRL+C to cancel it and run pppd again and it goes a little further. Eventually I can get past setting the APN, then when it tries to dial, it fails. I've tried both *99***1# and *99# to no avail (Tier level 3 support told me they use *99#).

I did get it to connect once but it would disconnect again. I couldn't troubleshoot those problems as I could never get it to connect again.

So, for anyone who has gotten it to connect (internet2.voicestream.com), which distribution are you using and which kernel image?

Below are the settings I'm using:
root at om-gta02:~# cat /etc/ppp/peers/gprs
#
/dev/ttySAC0
115200
crtscts
lock
hide-password
defaultroute # set the default route
usepeerdns
holdoff 3
ipcp-accept-local
lcp-echo-failure 12
lcp-echo-interval 3
noauth
noipdefault
novj
novjccomp
replacedefaultroute
persist
debug

connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/tmobile-connect"
disconnect "/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/tmobile-disconnect"

root at om-gta02:~# cat /etc/ppp/tmobile-connect
ECHO ON
TIMEOUT 30
ABORT 'BUSY'
ABORT 'NO ANSWER'
ABORT 'ERROR'
SAY 'Starting GPRS connect script\n'

""'ATZ'
SAY 'Setting APN\n'
OK 'AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet2.voicestream.com"'

ABORT 'NO CARRIER'
SAY 'Dialing...\n'
OK 'ATD*99#'
CONNECT ''